If you are equipped with baking skills and have a sweet tooth, you must crave cream cheese frosting on the top of your cupcakes. But most of the start-up bakers try to make cream cheese frostings in small batches to cater to their daily demand. This results in much effort and time consumption and affects the scalability of your bakery business. So, many bakers have asked us “can you freeze cream cheese frosting” and if freezing them affects its flavor.
While many still believe to make a fresh batch, we have done our experiments and found out the answers to your questions.
Is it possible to freeze cream cheese frosting?
The straightaway answer is yes, you can freeze cream cheese frosting. Normally, when you make a batch of frosting, the ideal sit time for the batch is 2 hours. But that too is stored in a cool and dry place. After the said hours, the frosting becomes runny and the same cannot be used again.
For scale bakeries and confectionaries, they must keep the frosting in a good and proper condition for use and reuse. This is why they use low-temperature refrigeration units that can regulate the temperature to store the cream cheese frosting. However, it is difficult for home bakers to purchase those units and store the cream cheese frosting. So, what’s the solution for freezing frosting?
Refrigerating home-made cream cheese frosting
When baking at home, keeping the frosting stored is one headache. So, when we were asked “can you freeze homemade cream cheese frosting?”, we had the answer right away. Yes, you can freeze the frosting by following three simple steps, and then you can use it within 4-5 days.
- Once your frosting is beaten up, keep it in an airtight container and put it in your freezer for chilling.
- However, you have to be aware of the fact that the frosting hardens upon chilling. So, you will need to keep it at room temperature for some time before serving.
- If you had applied the frosting on the cake and wish to store it, you have to keep the cake in an air-tight container and refrigerate it. So, now you know what to say when somebody asks can you freeze cake with cream cheese frosting?
For how long the frosting can be frozen?
Several myths revolve around the freezing time for frostings and these conceptions have been stopping many bakers to chill a batch. Nobody till now has been able to provide the exact quantity that can be frozen for how much time. We are also not claiming to know the answer but the standard freezing time can be considered up to 3 months.
However, do not engage in making a huge batch in a single container. If you are operating from home and expecting a bulk order for cream cheese frosting carrot cake, make several small batches and store them in the refrigerator.
Follow the following steps to avoid fouling of frosting after refrigeration:
- Make small batches of frosting that can be consumed in a single go. If the volume is huge, try dividing them into small batches.
- Use up a single airtight container fully after taking it out from the fridge.
- Note that the frosting hardens after chilling. So, take out the container at least 30 minutes before serving and let it rest at room temperature.
- Giving a whisk or a gentle whip in a mixer before serving helps the frosting to taste like before.
Furthermore, you have to be aware of the condition of the frosting after you let it rest.
Does it retain the flavor even after freezing?
Imagine you are having a party and you’ve made a carrot cake with cream cheese frosting. Your friends come over and enjoyed the party and your homemade carrot cake. But you didn’t expect the guest quantum and you have enough carrot cake leftover. And now you are thinking of disposing of it because you are afraid that the frosting will go stale. But you don’t have to worry about that now because if anybody asks you can you freeze carrot cake with cream cheese frosting, you know what to say to them.
Regarding concerns about the flavor, we can assure you that the flavor remains with the frosting without any added preservatives. However, if you had previously added flavor and mixed the frosting, and stored the frosting batch, whipping up in a mixer is recommended before usage after refrigeration. This helps in mixing the flavor with the cream cheese frosting so that you can savor the taste on every bite.
Check this Video